Have you ever considered becoming a Foster Carer? I have to admit it wasn’t something I knew a lot about but since talking to Sarah at Bracknell Forest Fostering my knowledge has increased significantly. Did you know that, according to the Fostering Network every 20 minutes another child comes into care needing a foster family in the UK and every day there are about 65,000 children living with 55,000 foster families. As a result of these figures Bracknell Forest are keen to raise awareness of the opportunity to become a foster carer and are trying to spread the message about Fostering in Bracknell Forest. Fostering might be something that is never for you or something you have never thought about. It might not be right for you and your family now or in the future, but by discovering more about fostering may just plant a seed and help Bracknell Forest with their challenge of finding more foster carers, for now and in the future.
Did you know?
- Fostering offers children and young people a home when they are unable to live with their birth family.
- Fostering can be just for a few days or a child’s entire childhood and beyond.
- Many of the children coming into care have experienced abuse or neglect.
- Fostering is often a child’s first positive experience of family life.
- Good foster care can transform a child’s life.
- Fostering offers children a safe and caring home and plays a big part in supporting them to maintain links with their birth family.
- To be a foster carer you need to have a spare bedroom.
- As a foster carer you can say what age child you would be happy to care for and for how long you would be able to commit to being a carer.
- Foster carers are from a range of backgrounds and have a wide range of life and work experiences.
- Foster carers are given training and work with a team of professionals.
- Foster carers are remunerated for their time.
Foster Care Fortnight
During w/c 10th May 2021 and w/c 17th May 2021 it is Foster Care Fortnight so do keep an eye on the Bracknell Forest Foster Carers Facebook page for lots more information and insight into Foster Caring. Oh and keep an eye out for the Tuk Tuk around Bracknell over the next two week too!
Find out more about Fostering in Bracknell Forest
Contact Bracknell Forest Fostering