Galentine’s and Valentine’s is a great excuse to fill the house with hearts. Here is how to make a Valentine’s Salt Dough Garland.
How do you make the salt dough?
- Simply mix – 1/2 cup of salt, 1/2 cup of water and 1 cup of plain flour into a bowl, add the water a bit at a time to the dry ingredients, then mix and squish them together until you end up with a ball of dough.
- You will also need a heart shaped cutter, red or pink paint and wool or string.
How do you make the salt dough heart decorations?
- Roll the salt dough out on a flat surface.
- Cut out heart shapes using cookie cutters and put a hole at the top of each shape for hanging.
- Then cook the salt dough on gas mark 2 or 3 for about 3 hours in the oven.
- Next paint the decorations in red or pink when cool. Your hearts might need a few coats of paint.
- Then thread wool through the holes at the top of the hearts to make a garland. Space the hearts out equally, leaving enough wool at either end so you can attach the garland to something. If you want each heart on the garland to stay in place then you can tie a little knot in the wool at the top of the heart, once each threaded and in place (see picture below).
If you have enjoyed reading about how to make homemade salt dough decorations, click here for more ‘At Home‘ activities.
Follow Berkshire Mummies
There are several different ways in which you can follow Berkshire Mummies, here’s how;
Join the Mailing List.
Please make sure that the activity is supervised at all times. Only use materials that are age appropriate for those participating in the craft or activity, especially when using scissors. Hang in a safe place out of reach of children. Do not eat. Click here to view the Berkshire Mummies disclaimer.