I decided to create a Festive Rocky Road recipe which has had the thumbs up from the whole family. The Festive Rocky Road would make a delicious treat to share over the festive season or you could gift it as a homemade treat for friends and loved ones.
What do I need to make Festive Rocky Road?
- 300g chocolate (I used milk chocolate but you could use a mixture of dark and milk depending on personal taste).
- 90g butter.
- 2 tbsp golden syrup.
- 25g shelled, chopped pistachio nuts (remove if allergic to nuts, you could replace with marshmallows).
- 75g glace cherries.
- 30g raisins.
- 3-5 digestive biscuits (broken up into small pieces), depending on how ‘biscuity’ you would like your Festive Rocky Road. I used 3 when I made our recipe.
How do I make Festive Rocky Road?
- Weigh out all the ingredients.
- Line a baking tray with grease proof paper.
- Melt the butter and golden syrup on a low gentle heat in a pan. Once melted add the chocolate off the heat. If required, to melt the rest of the mixture put back on low heat but only for 30 seconds – a minute, stirring all the time. Then take off the heat again and mix. Repeat if neccessary until it is smooth runny liquid. Make sure you don’t over heat the chocolate as chocolate over cooks and spoils quickly – it’s better to try and let the chocolate melt slowly in the pan off the heat and only add a tiny bit more heat if required. (Adult to do this part of the recipe).
- Then an adult carefully pours the chocolate, golden syrup and butter mixture into a mixing bowl and let it cool before adding the dry ingredients.
- Now add in the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon until all coated with chocolate.
- Then pour the mixture into the lined small baking tray. Spread the mixture out evenly.
- Put in the fridge for 3 hours until set.
- Take the Festive Rocky Road block out of the baking tray onto a chopping board and cut into bite sized pieces – ours were approx 4cm square. We got 16 pieces out of ours, each approx 5cm square.
- You could dust the squares with icing sugar but whatever suits your personal preference.
- Serve as a treat, as a pudding or give as a gift. Keep any spare slices of the Festive Rocky Road in the fridge – if it’s like our household… they won’t last long!
Follow Berkshire Mummies
If you have found the Berkshire Mummies Christmas Gift Guide useful why not follow Berkshire Mummies;
Join the Mailing List.
Click here to view the Berkshire Mummies disclaimer. Ensure an adult supervises the making of these Festive Rocky Road cakes, especially with the hot oven and chopping. Check for allergies before cooking and serving and avoid any ingredients not suitable. Remember nuts can be a choke hazard, only serve if age appropriate.