Building block repeating patterns can help with understanding, logic and critical thinking, plus using building blocks to create the patterns is good for fine motor skills. Not only that, it is good fun and a challenge and the repeating patterns look great when made from colourful bricks.
What do I need for this activity?
- Building Bricks which are age appropriate for your child – lego, duplo, mega blocks for example.
- A board for your blocks, although this isn’t essential.
How do I do this activity?
- Either on a board or on a flat surface create a repeating pattern (see photo for inspiration). Top tip: make sure you have a number of same type and colour of block – enough to keep the pattern repeating.
- Why not try and make several different repeating patterns?
- Can you make a repeating pattern that is two or more bricks high?
- Could you try creating a repeating pattern using something other than bricks – how about leaves and flowers?
Please make sure that the activity is supervised at all times. Only use materials that are age appropriate for those participating in this activity. Click here to view the Berkshire Mummies disclaimer.